I did it. I ventured out into the big scary world and saw the Avengers in IMAX 3D.
If I’m being honest, I kind of regret it.
The movie was amazing. It was everything I hoped it would be. But my movie-going experience made it very hard to enjoy myself. I had never seen a 3D movie before. I did not care for it. I felt like I was being forced to exercise my eyes. It was as if a drill sergeant came into the theater and told my eyes to drop and give’em 50. The glasses dimmed the picture, desaturated the color. Some of the motion was hard to focus on and felt really blurry. All of the beautiful detail that digital artists spent months creating was lost to a marketing gimmick. And it isn’t really 3D. It is optical trickery that makes different 2D images seem nearer or farther away. Like paper cutouts. That is two and a half D at the most.
Then about 3/4 of the way in to the movie I had to pee. The aliens were pouring out of the sky and my bladder was screaming. I could not bring myself to miss any of the movie. This is the first film I’ve seen in a theater in 4 years and I refused to miss any of it. Then my fatigue started kicking into overdrive. My muscles were struggling to keep me upright in my seat and my brain started getting foggy. Any normal human being would probably just get up, go to the bathroom and find a nice bench to lay on. But I was in my seat, eyes strained, bladder at capacity, brain melting, muscles aching… because I am a giant nerd and I can’t miss the end of this goddamn movie.
It wasn’t worth it. It wasn’t worth the terrible energy hangover I am currently feeling. The outside world and I just don’t seem to get along.
My brother’s wedding was worth it. One of my very good friends is having a wedding reception in July. I think that would be worth it. But in that dark theater surrounded by strangers I was just as alone as I am in my room watching movies. Only I can’t pause, I can’t lay down, and I don’t have to make my eyeballs do jumping jacks.
On the upside, I did steal these bitchin’ glasses.
- crimsongryphon reblogged this from beastlyart and added:
- bionic808 likes this
- icondevco reblogged this from thefrogman
- oilybeer likes this
- somechickthatpoststuff likes this
- thefrogmom reblogged this from thefrogman
- thefrogmom likes this
- valpallove likes this
- thised reblogged this from thefrogman
- arrancar5489 said: I’m sorry you had a bad time of it, especially since you were looking forward to it. I tend to never buy into the whole “3D experience.” If a movie isn’t MADE to be 3D, it’s not a 3D movie. It’s usually just the company trying to cash in on the hype.
- arrancar5489 likes this
- bright-red-scream likes this
- euphoria144 likes this
- nohetero likes this
- nahashon likes this
- liziel said: Hey, Frogman. I’m gonna let you finish but… NO REGRETS! It is what it is and I’m glad you went out to see the best movie of all time. Of all time!!
- scp-895 likes this
- angwoody likes this
- unhingedsamurai likes this
- 2muchcoffeechick said: Sorry 2 hear about ur experience. I hope u have a better time @ ur friend’s wedding. I’m a caretaker for a cancer patient who is fatigued & in pain. It’s a big deal 2 go out and he’s hoping to go to a street fair and see the Avengers.
- notquitepublic likes this
- tatehollander reblogged this from boogaboogaben and added:
- dizzick likes this
- neverassumenormality likes this
- dogslug reblogged this from beastlyart
- dogslug likes this
- johnwilkestooth likes this
- ppptwang said: Ugh, agreed. I can’t wait for 3-D to die. I especially hate it when everyone decides to see a 3-D movie, and I’m wearing my actual glasses D:
- john-of-arc said: I told you not to watch it in 3D :(((
- gingervitius likes this
- blow-my-clit likes this
- itsaviciouscircle likes this
- angrysunbird said: I was talking to one of those artists yesterday. He was telling me about one of his scenes where they had to add lens flare to cover a fuck up he made! At least he thought it was funny.
- wolfonthewind likes this
- grzywacz likes this
- mycatscactus likes this
- positivityandpaperstars said: i HATE 3d. regular movies are way better. i bet you would have enjoyed it more without that mess. but im glad you got to see it…
- keepcoolandstaycalm likes this
- cakewin likes this
- juliabeee likes this
- yggd likes this
- hookisback likes this
- sillyjessjess likes this
- paradigm- likes this
- sweetly-insane likes this
- supersandys-space likes this
- chimidolly likes this
- alicet1 likes this
- unpetitcreux likes this
- joe-raffe likes this